Thursday, February 23, 2012

DineLA 2012 @ Locanda Veneta

Backtrack about a month. I finally found the opportunity to experience DineLA this year. I'm very passionate about all aspects of food. As I'm not a picky eater, I also definitely do not confine myself solely to fine-dining experiences. I want the best of both worlds.. or all worlds as a matter of fact. As mentioned in my previous post, complaints about smoggy, traffic-congested Los Angeles are countless; however, L.A. is filled with various cultures which I absolutely adore about this city. Whether you want to soak up cultures/food from East Asia, Morocco, India, American, Ethiopia, and anything fusion, you can get a glimpse of their authentic flavors and customs here. On top of that, you can really experience and indulge your taste buds from super  affordable food trucks and local hole-in-the-walls (where I've discovered some of my favorite spots) to upscale, posh fine-dining. All places come with their own charm & beauty. For today's post, I will focus on the fine dining I've experienced through DineLA, along with my own opinions & critique. 

Locanda Veneta, Beverly Hills
Located about a block from the Beverly Shopping Center, it is a small, intimate restaurant. Dinner reservations were set early, so we were sat at a cozy corner booth. The bread and spinach tapenade were good, because I'm a bread-a-holic. The tapenade was a nice tease to begin a charming dining experience.
Locanda Veneta - bread & spinach tapenade
Appetizers were the grilled calamari and beef carpaccio. The grilled calamari is a must! It was tender and super flavorful, and I've been craving it ever since. I would come here just for this.
Locanda Veneta - Grilled Calamari (my favorite dish!)
The beef carpaccio was just as good as any other good quality, properly prepared carpaccio. I wouldn't necessarily order again. 
Locanda Veneta - beef carpaccio
The first entree was chicken hen-stuffed, tri-colored ravioli with wild pheasant ragout. If you like meaty dishes, this one's for you! It's packed with flavor, and the lean meat complement the heavy ragout. They definitely don't skimp on the filling, and you can really taste the individual ingredients. Although I'm not a huge pasta fan, I thoroughly enjoyed it. 


Locanda Veneta - Chicken hen-stuffed, tri-colored ravioli with wild pheasant ragout
Squid ink & potato gnocchi with a lobster pink sauce was the second entree. I love the soft, doughy consistency and textures of gnocchi, and you can tell the pasta was super fresh. The lobster pink sauce was on point. Personally, this entree was a winner (well.. aside from the calamari)!
Locanda Veneta - Squid Ink & White Potato Gnocchi w/ Lobster Pink Sauce. 
Dessert: The Italian Amaretto ricotta cheesecake was simple and delicious. The ricotta made it a lighter cheesecake, which I love. Great ending to a great place~
Locanda Veneta - Amaretto Ricotta Cheesecake
Mood and atmosphere is a huge deal to me. My enjoyment is not only reliant on the food but also in what mood I'm in and atmosphere I want to be in at the time. Locanda Veneta is upscale, but intimate, romantic, and cozy. I'd say it's a good date place or a place to enjoy authentic Italian food and have good conversations. The servers and waiters have thick Italian accents, which adds to the charm and authenticity of the restaurant!


I've had 2 more fine-dining experiences, which were quite interesting. Stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment